Sunday, November 6, 2011

Reaching the peak with a pain in the arse

Ugh. I've been sick all week and haven't formally exercised since Monday! I considered overriding my body's indications that we are not alright (breathing out of one nostril while the other alternates dry spells with snot faucets) but backed out. Still went into work though ;)
So I have been left reminiscing about recent physical accomplishments and the Peak Hike for Prevention, a fundraiser for Breast Cancer Fund, was a bright spot.
It took place in October on Mt. Tamalpais in Mill Valley, north of San Francisco. My vibrantly young aunt, Angela, survived breast cancer last year and recently finished surgical reconstruction (yay!). She assembled a team, Angela's Angels, and we took off for the peak on a cold Sunday morning. Within 15 minutes we encountered a disaster: a yellowjacket nest on the ground that must have been disturbed by the people before us on the trail. They were not buzzing happily.
The leader of our group, my sister-in-law, was stung all along her backside and I, second in the line, just froze in place and took it. I covered my ears, neck and face thinking my long sleeves and pants would protect me. Ha. In seconds I felt sharp pains along my forearms and one my left buttcheek. Score: angry yellowjackets: 7, Erica: 0.
The first aid tent didn't help much but I was determined to finish what I started. So a steep 3 mile climb up and 3 mile zig zag hike down was in order. As active as I am I figured I could pull this off without training and while yes, I did survive the hike, I had to take frequent breaks on the way up to catch my breath.  Perhaps I should add altitude to my fitness mix.
It was well worth it, though.  What I experienced that cold morning was nothing in comparison to what my aunt has faced undergoing bilateral mastectomies, adriamycin/cytoxan/taxol chemotherapy, radiation and the fear of cancer returning in the the future.  She's always in my prayers.
Here we are on the summit:

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like a few yellowjackets to make you hike a bit faster. This happend to Walt and I in Big Sur. Thankfully, we avoided stings but I don't think we've ever ran faster!! My thoughts: keep my mouth closed, head down and BOOK IT!

    ReplyDelete