Friday, November 11, 2011

Mad scientist makeup

The longer I work in oncology, the more suspicious I am about everyday items contributing to cancer development.  It just doesn't make sense why young people have advanced forms of cancer or really rare forms of cancer that doctors don't know how to best treat.  You can't blame the patient- it's not like they intentionally messed up their DNA or swallowed the tumor whole- so what gives?
The state of medicine and health seems to prioritize treatment rather than prevention.  I appreciate the advances thus far after reading The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer and understanding the horrific surgeries and excruciating chemical cocktails used to treat cancer in the past.  Yet that big question- WHY- has largely been ignored. 
One reason why I participated in Breast Cancer Fund's hike last month was because they are committed to identifying and advocating for the removal of environmental exposures to prevent the disease.  While we may choose to eat organic foods and watch the alcohol intake, lather on sunscreen, and exercise diligently to take care of ourselves we don't consider the carcinogens found in personal care/beauty products.  Starting with bright purple j.a.n.e. eyeshadow and frosted pink Bonne Bell lipstick in 7th grade, who knows what's accumulated in my body over the years or why I got my period when I was 10 (a risk factor for breast cancer)!
I've spent hours looking up the insanely long chemical names in my beauty products and I am *so* glad that I did.  I've basically scrapped all my hair, nail, shower, makeup, and body products in favor of alternatives that don't contain parabens, phthalates, lead, or triclosan, among other nasty ingredients.  I think the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database should win a Nobel Prize for making this information readily available.  I've searched by brand name (shame on you, MAC!), ingredient (see above list of nasty names), and by product type (i.e. foundation, deodorant) to find the lowest rated health hazards. 
Fortunately, Bare Escentuals is a low risk product line easily found at Sephora and lots of acceptable cosmetic, hair, and body products can be found on drugstore.com and beauty.com.  I've been introduced to the wide array of products from Maia's Mineral Galaxy and Honeybee Gardens by the EWG database.  I am proud to support their company's efforts at making people feel happier and having fun with their appearance without jeopardizing their health in the process.

Lead used to be an ingredient in lipstick.  Not cool.

3 comments:

  1. So is it a problem if just about every beauty product I own was scored by EWG as a 4 or above?! My make-up needs a makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wholesale cosmetics Invaluable article. That is the first time when i in this article. I discovered countless fascinating products with your thread particularly their discussion. Actually their fantastic thread. Continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WhatsApp 2019 is a messaging app for smartphones that resembles Blackberry Messenger. WhatsApp 2019 APK is an instant messaging app that's popular and run on all smartphone platform (Android, Samsung, iOS, Symbian, Ovi, and Windows Phone). WhatsApp APK 2019 analysis of the cell phone directory you and offers you to communicate with your loved ones secure, multi-platform instant messaging application.

    ReplyDelete