Monday, October 24, 2011

Don't dig your grave with your own knife and fork (English proverb)

Today is Food Day, created by Center for Science in the Public Interest, and to a foodie dietitian like myself, it's as exciting as Christmas Eve (even after learning who "Santa" really is!).  These are the six principles of Food Day:
1. Reduce diet-related disease by promoting healthy food
2. Support sustainable farms & limit subsidies to big agribusiness
3. Expand access to food and end hunger
4. Protect the environment and farm animals by reforming factory farms
5. Promote health by curbing junk-food marketing aimed at kids
6. Support fair conditions for food and farm workers
My job is written into principle #1.  However, in school we're not really taught about agriculture systems so the remaining principles- and bigger picture food issues- have been ignored by future nutrition professionals. There's a huge disconnect between the farm and how food ends up on our plate and we're supposed to be the nutrition experts!  Unfortunately we pass along the naivete to our patients and unknowingly perpetuate the drive toward current factory farming practices. 
Modern industrial farming is shameful, in my opinion, and documentaries like Fast Food Nation, King Corn, Food Inc., and Super Size Me got me thinking "I don't want to participate in this anymore" and "I will make a serious effort to find alternatives."  My dream is to one day grow my own fruits, vegetables, and herbs, but I just don't have the land or space to do so.  Thus, I spend my money to support people and companies who do their best to grown food the responsible way.
Living in Northern California I feel so lucky to have fresh produce available year-round that I try not to take it for granted.  I support my local farmer's market for seasonal fruits, vegetables, eggs from pasture-raised hens, and occasionally some grass-fed meats.  It sucks to not eat tomatoes and berries year-round but I prioritize eating locally grown food as a way to minimize the environmental impact of flying produce in from all over the world.  Every now and then, though, the bananas call my name and I can't resist :)
I'm also grateful for Sigona's, a family-run grocery store in town, that also supplies me with organic produce, pasture-raised chicken, and grass-fed beef, with an abundance of products from California.  Sure, I'll probably never be able to afford a house in the Bay Area but the richness of our food supply makes it *almost* worth the financial stress!  
I encourage you to decide for yourself how you'll be a part of Food Day today and everyday hereafter.  Lots of buzzwords are out there if you'd take the time to do your own research:
Local... seasonal... organic... sustainable... food deserts... subsidies... Farm Bill... genetically modified organisms... grass fed... pasture-raised... fair trade... confined animal feed operations... and so on.

Need inspiration?  Browse Food Day Recipes from celebrity chefs!

1 comment: