Monday, October 10, 2011

Chuckles from the HAES community

Like I mentioned in my last post FNCE was an eye-opening, shameless display of the influence Big (Processed) Food has on "educating" fellow health professionals and how to spin a message in their favor.  Reviews of "The War on Obesity: A Battle Worth Fighting?" are rolling in and I have to say Marci Klein's review is my favorite because she captured the 5 most ridiculous comments from double chinned obesity researcher John Foreyt.  I was too shocked to listen that well, so I appreciate the efforts by others in helping remind me that fat stigma and the "Everyone wants to be skinny deep down inside" dogma still exists.
Linda Bacon's HAES blog added some behind-the-scenes information that brought to light Foreyt's multiple weight loss industry ties and that he had no problem taking money from ADA just to be there.  I know it's more painless to keep our head buried in the sand but what's at stake- clients'/patients' long-term wellness and healthcare professionals' ability to safely promote lasting behavior change- really depends on knowing the truth!
So what else makes me laugh?  This graph from another HAES blogger:
Lastly, I love the cajones on "super class 3 obese" dancer Ragen Chastain for posting her hate mail but linking it to the ad-supported blog page so she makes money off the ignorant haters!  Genius!  She and other inspiring (and a few sad) people are profiled in the limited released documentary "America the Beautiful 2: The Thin Commandments".  I can't wait for wide release and hope you make an effort to see it too.
Be well!
YFD

No comments:

Post a Comment