Friday, September 30, 2011

Nice to see you again!

Hi friends.
My goodness, life has been busy!  I've been swept up in Missoni for Target madness (more like borderline obsessed with making sure I get every last piece via eBay and checking my Target online order status to make it sure it hasn't been canceled), family events, and a recent trip to San Diego for the American Dietetic Association's annual Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo.  I visited fellow CSULB internship survivors friends in Orange County and had a wonderful time catching up with them.  Newlyweds, babies, and careers, oh my :)
Continuing the theme, I reconnected with classmates and professors from my undergraduate years, my former boss and co-workers from my first dietitian job, and grad school classmates.  It was fun to reminisce on our evolution from uncertain students to full fledged professionals and everything in between.
I was so happy to see the Health at Every Size-themed debate "The War on Obesity: is It a Battle Worth Fighting?" and had no idea of ADA's history with rejecting a practice group for like-minded dietitians and for previous conference sessions.  So shady!  The pro-weight loss researcher was not only a rotund hypocrite but said absurd things like "Everyone wants to be skinny" and "Intuitive eating is responsible for the obesity epidemic."  Oh man.  I had to laugh at his stupidity.  Go HAES!
On a sour note, I was disappointed by the corporate presence at the expo and one-sided presentation topics. I gave the stink eye to Monsanto, Cargill, Corn Refiner's Association and "big food" reps with apartment-sized booths like Coca Cola, McDonalds, and Mars.  Sessions like "Hot Topic: A Fresh Look at Processed Foods" and "How Risky is Our Food? Clarifying the Controversies of Chemical Risks" may as well have been re-titled "Industry Sponsors Downplay Their Role in Making Cheap Junk Food" or "Look!  We Have A Few Healthy Foods to Choose From."  Please.  It's so blatant and ugly though it's nice to I know I'm not alone in my feelings.
I was introduced to the work of the Hunger & Environmental Nutrition dietetic practice group and am pleased they also share my disgust for corporate sponsorships, among other passions.  I guess I'm among the black sheep of RDs who see the networking and educational value of ADA but feel dirty for the affiliation.
All in all, I must say it was a nice break from the work grind.  I'm happy to he home and settling into my routine again, including blogging!  
P.S. Sorry for the white background as it is different from my usual template but I can't figure out how to undo the background text color.  

No comments:

Post a Comment