Friday, September 2, 2011

15 minutes (and I'm not talking car insurance)

Bodies were meant to move.  Period.  The stigma of exercising 'til exhaustion and "no pain, no gain" have robbed joyous movement of it's best intention: to make our bodies strong, healthy, and functioning at its best.
I occasionally suffer from "all or nothing" syndrome where if my rush to leave work and head to the gym isn't timed just right, if my hair is too nice to get sweaty or mussed up, if I miss my dogs and want to play with them first, etc. I skip an opportunity to show my body what it can do. 
This study has reframed my thought process about exercising "perfectly."  Simply doing something moderately-paced (which my natural walking stride accomplishes) for 15 minutes a day will lengthen one's life by 3 years.  We definitely have 15 minutes to spare everyday to commit to this and if you think you don't, we need to re-evaluate your priorities.
Even better, a new iPhone app rewards its users when they log 15 minutes or more of continuous exercise.  After each exercise, you have a chance for a discount based on your geographic location.  Then you are entered into a monthly grand prize, and a smaller daily prize drawing.  I can't wait to see what spoils this brings!
Little do they know our daily jaunts are also motivated by mommy's desire to win prizes!  Muah ha ha ha ha!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much .That is an awesome post. You have really layed out your points in great detail. Very easy to follow with good content. Weight lifter should take get hold of this post, read and impliment the points outlined...
    insurance company
    insurance agency
    car insurance

    ReplyDelete