Sunday, December 4, 2011

A holiday jingle

Sung to the tune of "Deck the Halls"

Fill the 'fridge with seasonal produce
Fa la la la la la la la la 
'Tis the season not for berries


Fa la la la la la la la la 
Give the winter crops
A fighting chance
Fa la la la la la la la la 


Sad tomatoes just aren't worth it


Fa la la la la la 
la la 
la
laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 


I admit to not making it down to the farmer's market every week so from time to time I rely on grocery stores for my produce (like most of the world).  It's shocking to see anemic looking summer month crops trying to be passed off as yummy year-round.  Just look at how pale the poor fruits are in my photos.  Look, I love strawberries and tomatoes as much as the next All-American foodie but I respect the seasonality of foods and patiently wait for the right season (or buy them frozen) to thoroughly enjoy and maximize on their nutritional value.
To find out what's in season, visit Sustainable Table and enter your state and the time of year.  See you in summertime, berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment